Welcome to the 2nd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This sweet week-long event is filled with fun dessert recipes from amazing bloggers and some great giveaways from our generous sponsors! We can't wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with y'all and celebrate summertime sweets all week long!
Head on over to my first recipe of the week to enter the giveaway for some AWESOME PRIZES!
I have this thing I do, where I take my favorite cocktail and make it into a dessert. Usually an ice cream or popsicle or cupcake. But this time I decided to go a little further and take my absolute favorite cocktail...
An Old Fashioned. Citrus, cherries, and a bit of bitter tang all come together beautifully in this cake, which I topped (bottomed?) with a brown sugar whiskey glaze. Somehow, it all just WORKS.
I used blood oranges for color, but regular would be just as good!
There are 23 wonderful bloggers participating in this year’s event! With over 60 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week too! Scroll down to take a look!
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- No Churn S'mores Ice Cream Ice Cream from Big Bear's Wife
- Strawberry Mojito Popsicles from The Spiffy Cookie
- Happylicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Parfait from Desserts Required
- S'mores Popsicles from My Sweet Zepol
- Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bars from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- No Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream from A Blender Mom
- Coconut Lime Pound Cake from The Food Hunter's Guide To Cuisine
- Old Fashioned Cocktail Upside Down Cake from Forking Up
- No Bake Lemonade Pie from 4 Sons 'R' Us
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart from Eat Move Make
- Strawberry Sour Cream Pound Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Grocery Store Iced Oatmeal Cookies from The Beard and The Baker
- Blueberry Streusel Cinnamon Rolls from Southern From Scratch
- Cream Puffs from For the Love of Food
- Cherry Sweet Rolls from Comfortably Domestic
- Cream Cheese Pastry with Almond Filling from Shockingly Delicious
- S'mores Pizza from Daily Dish Recipes
Now, onto MY recipe!
Old Fashioned Cocktail Cake
- 3 tbsp butter + 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp whiskey
- 3 oranges, zest reserved, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp bitters (I used grapefruit)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
Melt the 3 tbsp butter and stir in the brown sugar and whisky. Spread a few tablespoons of the mixture over a well-greased 9 inch round cake pan and arrange the orange slices and cherries over it. Pour the rest of the glaze on top.
Whisk together the dry ingredients, including the zest.
In a separate bowl or a stand mixer, cream together the stick of butter and white sugar. Add the eggs and bitters. Add the flour mixture and milk, slowly, taking a cup or so of each and letting it mix until smooth each time.
Pour the cake batter over the fruit and bake for 45 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes, then turn upside down on a plate. Do not wait until fully cooled or the fruit will stick.
Now, for the Contest!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. No PO Boxes Please. giveaway runs from July 9th until July 15th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners.